During Covid I’ve not been able to offer much in the way of face-to-face courses, but these have now started again and I can offer weekend and 6 day courses [for a maximum of four participants] as well as one-to-one tuition.
Go here for much more info and to book your place.
As a result of the Covid restrictions I started to offer online zoom sessions and these have proved very popular. Why not book yourself a FREE smartBoxmaker online session? – 20 minutes absolutely free to ask anything you want, and to find out whether further sessions might be a good way to further your box making.
Important notice: I‘ve never made furniture – I only make boxes – box making is my speciality!
During a long career making bespoke boxes and cases for discerning clients around the world I’ve developed a select range of skills and techniques, cherry-picked and distilled from a number of related disciplines. This article goes some way to explaining my approach
My courses offer an insight into the processes I regularly use in a friendly, supportive environment for a maximum of four participants.
I’ve made every mistake in the book over the years [and plenty that aren’t] … so I make sure you don’t!
You get to go away with a beautiful box, and loads of great box making tips …
As well as all the obvious stuff, some things you will learn:
• the difference between ‘abrasion’ and ‘cutting’, and why modern abrasives are often a good choice for small work.
• all about the ‘zen/stuff‘ scale, and where you are on it …
• the importance of a table-mounted router – upcut and downcut spirals explained.
• all about the world’s second most sophisticated clamping system.
And some things you will NOT learn:
• more ways to make your chisels and planes so sharp that the weight of a feather will shear itself in two.
• yet ANOTHER, even better way to cut perfect dovetails.
• how to fettle a plane so it creates a shaving the thickness of a Higgs boson.
• how to make a chair, a rocking horse or a bird box …
I think it’s safe to say my courses are well received:
“That was the best woodworking course I have done – and I have done a few … ”
Graham T, Surrey, UK
“For the aspiring cellist to spend three days with Yo-Yo Ma would be something special, certainly. For an aspiring box maker to spend three days one-on-one with Andrew Crawford is similar … ”
Roger B, Michigan, USA.
“I had one of the best informative and enjoyable times of my life over the weekend, my head is buzzing with loads of ideas and information.”
Chris C, Wiltshire, UK